The Gig Harbor Fly Shop started online as Wilderness Angler in 2004. We opened as a brick and mortar retail store in March of 2009; it was then that we changed our name to embrace Gig Harbor’s historic fishing heritage.
The shop was very well received, so much so that we outgrew our initial shop (lovingly referred to as the attic) and moved 1 January 2011 to a much larger and prominent location just a few buildings down Harborview Drive.
Our move brought much more to the shop than just increased square footage.
- A very busy guide service targeting Puget Sound & the Olympic Peninsula.
- The best attended education program in the Northwest, introducing hundreds to fly fishing and improving skills at all levels.
- Rental programs for kayaks, rods, reels, waders and boots.
- Doubling of our retail staff to better serve our in-store customers.
- Updates to our website, online store offerings and development of dedicated online store staff.
- Development of a growing community around fly fishing through our fish-outs, camp-outs, BBQs, film events and more.
- Broadening our active support of local, regional and national related conservation issues.
Our goals are simple. We want to do business with integrity, and go above and beyond to serve our customers.
In 2016 we started to feel the squeeze. We were starting to have more customers than we could take care of, at least for to our standards. Renting and selling kayaks, classes and clinics, trying rods, tying flies, etc. We knew we needed to make a change. So in November of 2016 we opened Gig Harbor Watersports and moved our kayak rental and sales business there. This gave us the opportunity to focus back solely on fly fishing and to serve customers more fully.
So what’s next? Well, we’re hoping to get out and do some fishing.
Image: Kayaks reflecting in The Shop’s front window / Jess McGlothlin, Fire Girl Photography